Today is one of those "blah" days. It looks rainy, but the rain hasn't shown up yet. I'm sure it will though; probably as soon as I step out of my car in a parking lot somewhere. Today is payday, so that's cool. Of course, almost every penny of my check is already spoken for. Don't you just love it when that happens? Things at work are pretty cool today, so far anyhow. The kids are being good. It's Christmas Vacation, and they are all aware that Santa is watching.
You know, I was thinking. I've been a good girl this year. I can only think of one time that I was "bad." I'll not make excuses for that one, but the rest of the year has gone well. I hope that Santa recognizes that and rewards me accordingly. Wouldn't it be so awesome if there really was a big guy in a red suit that magically stopped time once a year, and flew in a reindeer drawn sleigh to make everyone's Christmas wishes come true? I think that's why Christmas seems so much better when we're young. It's the magic. I mean, let's face it. We were all probably seven or eight before it crossed our minds that the "Santa Clause" thing really might be impossible. A friend of mine has a daughter that is 11, and a neice (of whom she has custody) that is 12. A few days ago, the 11 year old came up to me and said, "Yesterday was the worst day of my life." Lord only knew what she could have been talking about. She trudged on with her story, "My mom and dad told me the truth." I must have looked so confused. (Most of the time I would have been expecting the "I know where babies come from" discussion, but I knew that she and I have already had that talk) She filled me in, "Santa Clause. There is no Santa Clause. And they just couldn't let me go on thinking it. They just haaaad to tell me and ruin everything." Needless to say she's a bit of drama queen about such things. And she probably has known this for several years - the 12 year old was like, "Yeah, and..." - but as long as she never admitted it, there was still a chance.
So what would be the most magical thing that Santa could give me this year? Hmmm... I could think of a million things. Dollar bills to be exact. Who wouldn't want a million bucks? But realistically speaking, what would it be? Maybe for my friend's husband to come home from the dessert. Maybe for my brother and his wife to find out they were going to have a baby. Maybe for someone to buy my sister her very own shop. Maybe if a handful of people that I know to loose the anamosity they have towards each other. Maybe for a certain lady I know to lay down the drugs and be the mom to her precious little girl that she needs to be. Maybe I could have some clarity of my own about Ex and Crush. Maybe all of my bills would be paid. Maybe someone would pay off our church building. Maybe my extended family would see how ridiculous they have all been and lay aside their differences. I guess in the movies, we always see Santa do what we should be praying about and letting God do.
Now there's a thought. Pray and let God do it. I do pray. I pray every morning when I wake up, every night before I go to sleep, and many times throughout the day. But I am guilty of praying about a problem, saying "Amen," then getting to work on it myself. I struggle with leaving my problems with God. I think we all struggle with that. It's human nature. Sometimes I can feel my heart aching for something, and I pray and pray and pray, and I still feel as if it's so far away. Then sometimes, it feels as if it's just within my reach, but I can't get to it. Then there are those marvelous times when it just floods over me. In reflection, I wonder if I thank God enough when that happens. No. I don't. Shame on me. Maybe we would have more blessings, like our Christmas wishes magically coming true, if we were more thankful. Hmmm... I'm in deep thought over this.
I hope that everyone has safe travel this Christmas season. I hope that your family doesn't wear you down. I hope that you allow God to bless you in a magic way this Christmas. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night...
Thursday, December 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey! I have a blog too (about my daughter.) Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment