Friday, July 31, 2009

Baby Talk

Babies are popping up everywhere! I was reading on facebook or someplace the other day that one church is expecting three baby girls in one month! That's crazy!!! As for Hubby and I, we have discussed it and still want to wait a while. Now, I'm not going to wait too long because I don't want to be the 40 year kindergarden mom. So no "baby" talk out of me. However, Brother and Sister-In-Law (SNL) are expecting twin boys in about 10 weeks! I'm way excited about that. Sister's best friend is 40 weeks prego today, hasn't dilated even a little bit, and they are going to make her wait another whole week before they induce! Poor girl!!! I told her to jump on the treadmill. Hey... it worked for my friend. When my mom was prego with me, I was one day past my due date (imagine that) and my dad couldn't wait any longer. He loaded my mom up in my grandfather's dump truck and took her on a joy ride through the cow pasture. I was born just after Noon the next day. I love that story. My list of people I know having babies right now is extensive. SNL and the twins, one friend from high school is expecting twins, and I know of four more that are expecting. Some other friends of ours just had a baby a couple of months ago, and thus the "baby talk" story.

Friends and Baby came to Family Night last night. My kids LOVE family night; it's their favorite thing! I didn't think to tell them that Friends were going to be there until we got to Mom's. They saw Male Friend in the doorway and kind of freaked. But then they walked in the house and saw Paw-Paw holding Baby and they were instantly entranced! They wanted to play with her, of course, but I wouldn't let them because one, they needed to wash up; two, once they started they wouldn't want to stop; and three, we were just about to sit down to dinner. However, you know I just walked in the house, went right to the bathroom to wash up, and immediately took Baby out of Dad's arms. While I was holding her, Slugger (step-son) and Curly Sue (step-daughter) were standing there looking at her, just itching to touch her. I said, "Y'all can talk to her. She'll like that." Slugger looked at me as if I was the craziest woman on the planet, cocked his head to one side and said, "Stacy... ummm... I don't talk 'baby.'" I was soooo cracked up!!!

After dinner, I explained to him what "talking baby" looked like and how to do it. I also explained to him that it was important for us to talk to babies so that they could learn to talk. He wasn't convinced that she could understand him at first, and all he would say is "hey baby, hey baby, hey baby." After a while, he got the hang of talking baby. Overall, we had a great time with the family and friends, and of course, with Baby. I can't wait until my nephews get here...

I guess that's enough baby talk for one day!

No comments: