Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Mecca Unknown

Last night the kids spent the night with Nana and Granddaddy. Therefore, Hubby and I had a date night. Dinner and a movie. Dinner at El Palacio, and "The Ugly Truth" at 7:35. But we left El Palacio at 6:30... so what to do for an hour? Slugger wants a "real" light sabor for his birthday next week. We've found one, but it's a little pricey. Hubs thought that maybe we could find one a little cheaper at the comic book store that's up the street from the restaurant. I've only been there twice... former Roommate and I took her son there once or twice. Let's just say the comic book store is not my favorite place. When Hubs suggested it, I responded, "I hate the comic book store. We can go ONLY if we're in and out. In a hurry!" He agreed. We went there.

We pulled into the parking lot and there is the girl with the boy-cut, cute glasses, and striped socks up to her thighs on the sidewalk reading a comic book and eating some fast food. There are two guys near her on a smoke break. This is normal. What I saw when I actually went into the store... not normal. Not in my little work anyhow. Behind the stacks were three or four rows of tables set up and 50+ people crowded around. They were mostly guys, and the age range was varied. They were playing cards. Only not cards like what I play... it was nerd cards. I saw Magic cards, but I don't know if that was the only game being played or not. There was a sign on the door about a Poke'mon League. I can't remember what night it met, but I remember thinking before we walked in, What is a Poke'mon League? Note to self: Ask Hubby about that when we get back in the car. I didn't need to ask Hubby when we got back in the car, because *snap fingers here* just like that, I learned what it was. I have never seen anything quite like that. It was like the Nerd Mecca. The guys were not gothic - they were all way too happy for that. They were... how do describe this... nerdy. But that doesn't cover it. New age grunge maybe. Anyhow... And they were taking this seriously, and we were the outsiders. I seriously would have never ever imagined something like this. I was amused. I told Hubby as we were on the last isle looking for the light sabor, "I see a blog in my future."

So I hope that I don't offend anyone with this. I just never knew there was an organized movement amongst the comic-book-card-playing world. It took me aback. So there you have it... just when I thought I had seen it all...

1 comment:

Heather said...

There is a group at Northeast that do the same thing! I have many thoughts on the days I see them. But I just think, "At least they are happy." =)