Perhaps I would do better if I dictated this blog to my Hubby because it's hard to type with only one hand. How about I fell yesterday and broke my arm in two places! OUCH! The steps on my front porch were slippery and both of my feet flew out from under me. I landed on my butt, and my elbow cracked on the step. I knew immediately that my arm was broken. But even more immediately than that, I was scared to death about how the babe fared through the trauma. I was having an all out panic attack for a minute then I pulled it together and started barking orders to Hubby and the kids. They pulled together and took great care of me. I called the nurse and she said that since I was still so early in, the baby is so small and so cushioned, and I didn't have any spotting, so she wasn't really worried. She also told me that I needed to get checked out.
The fastest way to get in at the ER is to tell them "I fell and I'm six weeks pregnant." I got the royal treatment! I was checked in, triaged, and in a room with a nurse within 20 minutes! The only part that was really awful was the X-rays. The sweet x-ray girl told me to put my arm in a position that I couldn't handle. She asked the mean lady to help her figure out a way to get the right picture a different way. Then Mean Lady said, "There's not another way. You're gonna have to be tough." And then she proceeded to jerk and move my broken arm in all manner of ways that it's not supposed to move when it's broken! I broke down in tears... it was quite possibly the most painful experience of my life. And somehow through my tears I was thinking Lady, it's a damned good thing my husband is not in here or you wouldn't be walking out of this room... I pulled myself together a little for the ride back to my room, but as soon as I got settled in again, I lost it. I think Hubby and Mom were crying with me. It did hurt bad, but also, I had just experienced the most helpless moments of my life during the last couple of hours.
There aren't words to describe what scary and awful thoughts I had in that one minute that I was laid out at the bottom of the steps. And even though everyone told me that having the x-rays done would be OK, I was so scared. They left me in the wheelchair in the hallway for about five minutes and the whole time I just prayed and prayed and prayed for God to protect my little baby. I felt so stuck in that moment. I knew that I needed to take care of myself, but I was so scared to have the x-rays. My faith was really tested, because in moments like that all you can do is pray and then trust that God will pour his protection down.
It was a while before the doctor came in with the x-rays. Sure enough, my elbow area is cracked in two places. Nothing appeared to be dislocated, so thank goodness they didn't have to set anything. I have to go see the Orthopedic doctor, hopefully tomorrow, but the ER doc said he didn't think surgery looked necessary. I'm in a temporary cast until going to the orthopedic. I'm still in a good bit of pain, but I haven't moved out of the recliner today except to use the little girls room. Hopefully I'll get good news tomorrow and be on the road to recovery.
I told Hubby that when this poor baby gets here, it's either going to be tough as nails or be a nervous wreck!
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment