Saturday, January 23, 2010

A BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

Let me start by saying that I suck at blogging! I haven't blogged since my nephews were born. Which is not entirely acceptable. A few big changes since then... I got a job, thank the Lord! We had a wonderful Christmas. We're getting back on our feet financially. Things are going great!

So a few weeks ago I was asleep, I woke up to roll over and got to dizzy that I thought I was going to roll right out of the bed! That happened for two or three nights in a row. I thought I was experiencing the beginning of inner ear trouble. Then that passed.

For a couple of weeks, every time I would brush my teeth, my gums would bleed. The first couple of times I didn't think a lot about it, but it kept happening. It got to the point where I told Hubby I was going to have to call the dentist.

Then I had the weirdest dream about my cousin trying to give me this little baby. The baby was so precious and I was begging my dad and Hubby to let me keep it. And they did. For three or four days I kept thinking about that baby. Weird, huh?

And it was getting time for me to start my period. But I wasn't too PMS-y. Except for the cramps and they were consistent and seemed to be worse at night and related to tummy issues, which coincidentally had become quite rare. I was pretty stressed out at work b/c we have been so busy. Day by day, I was still cramping but not starting. I figured I'd take a pregnancy test, it would say I was not prego, I would start, and these cramps would go away. So last Friday, January 15, I peed on the stick. Before I could even get the toilet flushed, it said "PREGNANT!"

I wasn't expecting it, but I was so excited! I have PCOS, which is a hormonal issue that makes it very hard to conceive naturally. I have seen people going through the hormone treatments; that is so rough on them and their bodies. Hubby and I have been up front with each other about wanting a baby. But I've been undecided about whether or not I would want to go through all of that to have a baby. We weren't doing anything to prevent getting pregnant, but we hadn't gotten serious enough about it to start charting ovulation cycles or anything like that either. This was a very sweet little surprise.

But... I was all of a sudden really concerned about all the cramping. I called the doctor's office and they said that they didn't want to see me until I was about 8 weeks, which would be Feb. 1. We decided that we couldn't keep it a secret from our families but that we weren't going to tell anyone else. And for the most part, we did that pretty well. Monday night I was cramping so badly that I thought Hubby was going to have to take me to the hospital. It did settle down and the next morning the nurse told me it was tummy troubles again. I started trying to make efforts to keep that under control. Then Thursday morning I got up to get ready for work and I was spotting a little. It was just a tiny little bit, but it scared me to death. I called the answering service and a few minutes later the nurse told me to stay off my feet. She felt like it was still the tummy issues or implantation bleeding, and that if it had stopped by Noon, I was good to go. If it didn't stop by Noon, I was to call her back. It stopped around 9 and I was so relieved. Then at 1:30 it was back. I called her and she sent me for blood work. I went back to work yesterday and she called me first thing and told me to come on in for an ultrasound.

Hubby picked me up and Mom met us there. I met my OB/GYN for the first time (I had recently decided that I would be changing girly doctors at my next yearly checkup so this worked out). I really liked him. We did the get-to-know-me thing for a few minutes, and he did an ultrasound. I was so nervous that something was wrong. I was scared. I was watching the doctor's face. He was so intense when it first started and then I saw this "Here we go" look on his face and I was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief. He turned the screen around and showed me the yolk sack and the tiny tiny little tadpole. Then he pointed out this little flickering flash of light. Yep. That was my baby's heartbeat. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen! I cried a little. My mom cried. Hubby was so giddy and smiley I thought he was going to jump through the ceiling! It was the sweetest moment of my life.

The doctor said that right now everything with the tadpole (that's what Hubby calls the baby) is OK. My progesterone levels were a little low, so I'm on a supplement for that now. I have my baby's first picture. And I showed it to everyone I possibly could yesterday. I'm going back in two weeks for a check up. There are so many prayers going up for me and this baby that I know God is going to take care of us. I haven't had anymore spotting since yesterday before leaving for work. Thank God!!!

I read that the bleeding gums is a normal thing. I've adding extra time in my morning and bedtime routines to floss and use mouthwash. I also got a new toothbrush with softer bristles. That has gotten better. My tummy troubles seem to be more under control. I've only had morning sickness one time and that was related to sinuses. But literally every second of the day I am nauseated. And most of the time I'm dizzy to boot. It reminds me of when I used to drink and I'd try to go to bed while I was still drunk. That's the closest thing to which I can compare the feeling.

I'm going to blog this wonderful journey. I may have to rename the blog "The Tadpole Chronicles" or something. Ha ha ha! And though I miss the following my blog used to have back in the day, I don't really care if anyone else ever reads this. I want to have this for me. If you follow, Enjoy!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so EXCITED!!!! I know I'm younger than you and it might be weird asking stuff but if you have any questions ask me!

Beth said...

Congratulations!!!! Btw, I had the early cramps and spotting with Brooke, and she's here and normal, so don't worry too much. :)

Heather said...

Stacy I am so happy for you! Congrats!!

Meg said...

So happy for you, Stacy! Who knows...maybe we'll have our babies on the same day! :) You are going to be an excellent mommy!