Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I Am An Impatient Patient

Where to start this story??? Last week I was not feeling quite up to par. I kept a headache, which is not normal, and I had hardly any energy. Also, on Tuesday, I started having some aching in my lower stomach. I thought it was the onset of PMS to be honest. As the week passed by, it didn't really get any worse, but it wasn't getting any better. Friday was Slugger's birthday. I was on the run all day. By the time we made it to bed late Friday night, I was exhausted and hurting. I reached to turn off the light and when I did, it felt like something snapped in my lower abdomen. What pain! Like something I've never felt! Hubs got me some Tylenol and petted me until I fell asleep.

Saturday was not quite as busy. Nanna came back over and volunteered to take the kids back to their mom's. We played the Wii for a long time, and after a couple of hours of that, I was exhausted again. I slept for almost four hours! Then we went to dinner and ran a few errands. I crashed early that night, even though I had taken a long nap.

Sunday was the baby shower for the twins. I had big plans to get up around 8, make the poppy seed ham rolls, load them up, go to church, then head to the shower. I overslept. Got up at 9. I called Mother-In-Law to tell her so she could bring her gift to me before church. I was feeling some pain and was kind of weak, but knew I had a lot to do. When she got here, we were standing outside talking about what might be wrong with me... appendicitis, tubal pregnancy, cyst on the ovary? We're not doctors so we couldn't be sure. Go to the doctor tomorrow and find out. That was about the time everything started closing in on me. I was about to black out! I told her she was going to have to help me into the house. After the first few steps I thought I was going down. She made me stop and bend down, and put my head between my knees as she held a cold bottle of water to my head. She finally got me in the house. Hubs went crazy, bringing me water, getting my feet over my head, a cold rag, etc.

He insisted on taking me to the ER. He wouldn't admit it at the time, but he thought something was really bad wrong. I did admit it at the time. I was scared. He helped me finish up the food for the shower, we dropped it off (because it was on the way) and headed to the ER. Hub's mom (Nanna) was already there waiting on us. Dad got there not long after. They drew 6 viles of blood and made me pee in a cup. After an hour and a half to two hours in the waiting room, they called me to a room. Hubs got me into the ever fashionable hospital gown and we settled in. Nanna and Dad stayed in the waiting room Poor Dad. I'm still his little girl. There wasn't another place he was going to be besides at the hospital, but he refused to come see me wearing a hospital gown, laying in a hospital bed.

We waited more than we did anything else. The nurse came in and asked me all the same questions that the triage nurse had asked. The doctor came in and said that all the blood tests looked ok... no infections or diseases. The urine test was the same. Not pregnant. No infection. But he was concerned about me passing out. They did a blood pressure test to check for internal bleeding. Checked in laying down, sitting up, and standing up. Passed that one too. EKG. That was normal. Praise God!!! But what's wrong with me? Mom got there, and unlike Dad, wild horses wouldn't have kept her away from my little room. Then they did a pelvic exam. Yuck. All seemed normal enough, except he hit the spot that was causing the pain, and boy did I let him know!!! So he ordered an ultrasound. Hubs was a little put off that he wasn't allowed to go with me for that. Poor thing. By this point, it's after 7, and I'm starving! All I had eaten all day was a pancake-on-a-stick that morning. Doc said to wait until the u/s results came back before I ate anything. Finally, he came back in and announced, as if were disappointed by his findings, that I had a "relatively insignificant cyst on my ovary that rupture." No way of knowing if it ruptured Friday night when I had that awful burst of pain, or that morning when I blacked out, but probably that morning. It will only get better from here because the worst is over. Do you need something for pain? And with that, it was finally time to go home. I mean, time to go eat!!! Mom and Hubs had to rip off the surgical tape from where they took blood, and the six little EKG tags. I put my clothes back on and Dad took me to Krystal, which is my ultimate comfort food.

I was really glad to know that I was OK. I kept imagining all sorts of terrible things they were going to come back with. I thank God for His healing power and His grace to help us through that day. Yesterday Hubs stayed home with me. He wouldn't let me get up all day. Mom brought us some goodies and checked on me. And we had tons of calls and facebook messages from family and friends. Thanks to all of you for your prayers! Finally, last night I was so stir crazy that I was driving Hubs insane so he took me to dinner. But then it was right back home and off me feet. He went back to work today. He almost didn't. He wanted me to call Mom to see if she'd come stay with me. I told him that she had to work today, and that's when he was said, "Let me call in." NO! I'm OK!!! Bless his heart. He loves me so much, and takes good care of me. I have strict instructions to follow today. I can wash off with a washrag, but I can't get in the shower until he gets home. My car is loaded down with stuff I need to take to the Care Center, but he says I should probably wait until tomorrow. If I have to go today, I have to call ahead to make sure someone is there who can unload it all. The dishes and laundry can wait. AGH!!! All I get to do is watch TV, play on the computer, read a book, or take a nap. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I can manage that!

No comments: