Thursday, December 13, 2007

It's Been A Year to Remember

It was exactly one year ago when I started this blog. Twelve months, forty pounds, six guys, 150 blog posts, a new address, and countless amounts of drama later, here I am. Still griping about wanting to loose those last ten pounds. Still incurring massive amounts of drama from day to day. And still single, although today that is much more by choice than it was this time a year ago. One thing is for sure, I don't think that I am the same person I was a year ago. In most ways that's a good thing. I have grown up some more; a process that I have come to realize will never end as long as I'm still breathing. I have learned more lessons about life, the world, and about human nature. I have learned lessons about all sorts of things actually. I've learned that I really can loose weight without exercising. I can tell if a guy is into me in five minutes or less. I have learned that I still haven't overcome my addiction to procrastination, which is even more obvious at the present time considering it's eleven days until Christmas and I have purchased a total of zero gifts. I have realized that one of my biggest character flaws is that I always want what I can't have. On top of that, I am accustomed to getting what I want, so I'll fight tooth and nail for the wrong thing from time to time. I have surprised myself a few times by some of the choices that I have made this past year. Some of it was good, some was not. Some of it I've already blogged about, some of it I'll never post for public viewing. I have mourned the loss of loved ones, and have celebrated the homecoming of my favorite soldier. I picked up strange men at The Depot, and completely fell for someone I shouldn't have. Correction, two someones I shouldn't have. I re-learned that being an adult sometimes means we have to do what we have to do and not what we want to do. I have drifted away from certain friends and drawn closer to others. I have learned that if I don't want something repeated, then I just shouldn't tell it in the first place. That was a lesson I learned in fifth grade, sixth grade, seventh grade, and so on. It is a lesson that I didn't think that I'd have to learn again. I had assumed that in being an adult, when I trusted someone enough to confide in them, the information would be kept between us. I was wrong in assuming that. Yeah, that was a hard one to come to terms with. I have learned not to spread gossip. I've had enough gossip spread about me this year to last me a lifetime (some of it was true, and some was not), and it made me realize that I have no business running mouth or opening my ears to such viciousness. But most of all I have learned that somehow, no matter how undeserving I am, God has taken care of me. How do I know it was Him, you ask? Because I know I couldn't have taken care of all this by myself.

No comments: