Wednesday, July 18, 2007

And Four Makes Ten

This morning, I walked out to my car to get something. When I opened the front door, Patches, the slutty cat and Trouble's mother, came tearing out of the barrel beside the door. We noticed a few weeks ago that Patches was gaining some weight, and sure enough she was pregnant. The past few days she looked as if she were about to pop. The cats don't just hang out in that barrel, so I knew as soon as I saw her leap out of it what she had been up to. Sure enough, there are four babies in there. One is light orange, one a darker orange, one is gray, and the last one is black. She must have had them sometime in the night because the mess was completely cleaned up, as were the kittens. They are so cute! Already Step-daughter is begging to keep one of them. She thinks she needs to keep one from every litter that is born. But these four kittens means that we now have ten cats at our house. TEN CATS!!! The three adult cats are Puss-n-boots, Patches, and Prissy. Trouble lives in the house, and is about sixteen weeks old I think. She belongs to Patches, and Patches belongs to Puss-n-boots. Prissy has two kittens running wild around the house and the best I can figure, they are two or three weeks younger than Trouble. They are both gray and white with orange patches. Their names are Smokey. That's what we named the first one we found, but now we can't tell them apart, so we just call them by the same name. Those two make six, and the new kittens make ten. I told Roommate this morning that people are going to start calling us "crazy cat ladies" if we don't do something to put a stop to this. Roommate told Step-daughter that we will probably keep one of the new kittens as long as one of them is a boy. That way, maybe he can fend off those horny tom-cats that keep impregnating our girls. So, in six weeks from today, which will be August 29, we will have at least two kittens up for grabs. My brother already has dibs on one. Even if we keep just one, that's still seven cats at one house. I may have nightmares about being eaten alive by cats!

No comments: