Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Flower Girl Campaign

Cousin called me at work yesterday afternoon. She and her husband just traded their car for a mini-van. She was just leaving the local car lot when she called because she couldn't wait another second to tell me this story.

Here's the needed backgroud information: Last summer a lady from Cousin's told was killed in a tragic accident in front of her two small daughters, leaving her husband behind to raise them by himself. I didn't know the lady, but the town took the loss very hard. Apparently, the husband is a very handsome man, and is now one of the town's most eligible bachelors.

Cousin was inside the office at the car lot filling out papers. Her kids were playing outside close by. Cousin hears the widower man enter the office asking, "Is she single?" She looks up to see her daughter standing there pondering the question. "Mom, is my teacher single?" "No, she's not." Cousin was a little embarrassed, and wondering just exactly how her nine year old daughter had found herself in a conversation with a grown man about finding him a girlfriend. From here I can't remember exactly how the conversation flowed, but this is the basic story: Daughter then says to the man, "My cousin is single. She's 27, and really pretty... you should ask her out."

Lord, have mercy on my soul... Now my nine-year-old cousin is trying to hook me up! What's next? I'm sure how this makes me feel. I am so cracked up that she did that. It's stinkin' hilarious! Most of the time I don't consider myself "desperate" for a man, but I do always keep my eyes open. I think Little Cousin is just such a hopeless romantic that she can't imagine how I can possibly be really happy being alone. This obsession that she has with me getting married goes back about three years though. That summer, her best friend was a flower girl in a wedding, and her brother was a ring bearer in a different wedding. Since then, she's been after me about when I'm getting married so that she can be in a wedding. I was telling my mom this story this morning, and she said it best, "Little Cousin has such a one-track mind, and most of the time the name of that track is 'Little Cousin Highway!'"

No comments: