Friday, November 30, 2007

The Big Adventures of the Scruff-Muff

Scruffy has become my most favorite object in the whole world. That's probably because as Step-daughter says, he looks like the perfect little fluffy stuffed animal. He is absolutely the cutest little doggie I've ever seen. And 99.9% of the time he is a perfect little angel. However there have been two instances where his devilish side has shown through. The first time was a few weeks ago when I had dinner with a friend of mine. I was still in the bathroom getting ready when my friend got to my house to pick me up. I didn't put my glasses on to answer the door, but luckily I already had my shoes on. As soon as I opened the door, Scruffy ran out, jumped off the porch and headed straight towards the pasture next to my house. There is a buffalo-type creature in that pasture, and I was afraid that Scruf was about to run through the fence and be eaten alive. Had I been wearing my glasses, I would have known that he couldn't have fit through the fence. As it was though, my friend and I had to run around the house in opposite directions in order to head him off. What a greeting... "Hello. Welcome to my house. Help me chase down my dog!" It was sort of funny though.

Dad came over one morning last week. And wouldn't you know it, the very moment I opened the door to let him in, Scruffy ran out the door. I was in my pajamas and sock feet, but out the door I went. He ran across the street and up three houses. Those people have a HUGE, beautiful dog in a pen in their back yard. It could have probably eaten Scruffy up in one bite, but thankfully, it's a good natured dog. And, much to my appreciation, Scruffy was totally mesmerized by the dog. They weren't barking at each other, but they were just standing there sort of entranced with each other. I was finally able to scoop him up and take him home. When we got back to the house, Dad said, "that's a great way to start the day, huh?" No kidding...

I took him with me to Family Night this past week as well. He did really good except he peed in Mom's kitchen floor. I shut him up in the bathroom while we ate, and he peed and pooped in there. I had expected that one though. Other than that, he was very well behaved. It's easy to love him so much because he loves me so much. Mom, Sister, and Step-daughter would pet him or play with him, and that was OK with him. But only for a few minutes... then he would come toddling back over to me. Saturday was the Christmas parade here in town. I took him with me to watch it. I was afraid that the fire trucks might scare him, but he never flinched. He was too busy flirting with a dog about twice his size. And here's an interesting tid-bit. The other dog tried sniffing me out. Scruffy wasn't mean to the other dog, but he didn't like it getting close to me. After a while, my friend that was with me watching the parade pointed out that Scruffy had marked his territory in the grass in a complete circle all around me. Now what kind of awesome loyalty is that?

No comments: