It's true that at one time in my life I was a natural blonde. However, I have paid major bucks for these blonde locks for twelve years or longer. Apparently though, once a blonde, always a blonde. I have so many air-headed moments in my life that it's just ridiculous. I don't even get embarrassed anymore ~ what's the use? It happens so often that I'd just spend all of my time being embarrassed... and I don't have that much time to spare. And I figure, if people are going to laugh at me, it better start with me laughing at myself. With that said, here's the latest, and perhaps most comical airheaded moment I've had in a long time.
Let me set the scene. Walking Friend (it's weird that I refer to her that way since we never walk anymore) told me on Tuesday that her grandmother was in bad shape. I didn't hear from her all day yesterday, so while I was eating dinner last night I sent her a text message to see how she was. By the time she responded, I was wrapping up my lesson in the class I teach at church on Wednesday nights. She told me that her grandmother had passed away in the early morning hours. I asked if she wanted company, and she said she did. Seeing as how church was almost over, I told her to give me ten minutes. Had I said twenty minutes, my airheaded moment probably wouldn't have happened. I dismissed my class, but then I had a very important matter to discuss with my fellow members of the Church Council. Instead of calling a meeting where we could all discuss it the one time, I went to each of them individually. The matter was resolved with the best of ease, but it took a while to talk to everyone. By this point, it was probably ten minutes past the time Walking Friend was expecting me. And I still had to call the accountant with everyone's hours so that we can all get paid today, and I had to run to the store.
This is the blonde moment. I ran to my office, quickly dialed the number for the accountant ~ a number that I have memorized since I use it so often, and was double checking the info on the time sheets while his voice mail message was playing. Of course, I've been hearing that same message for two and a half years, so I never pay attention to it. I wait for the beep, leave the hours, and in my sweetest voice say, "Thanks, and I'll talk to you in the morning." Same routine, new week. Check that off the list of things to do... Out the door I went, to the store, then to Walking Friend's. She was vegged out on the floor so I took a seat on the floor next to her. I had barely gotten settled when her phone rang. It was a work-related call and was taking a few minutes. Then I feel my phone buzzing on the carpet. I look at the caller i.d. and it was Cousin. She said, "Guess what you did." "There is no telling," was my reply. "You called my house and left everyone's hours instead of calling the Accountant." His office is in the same town as where Cousin lives, therefore their phone numbers have the same prefix. Not only that, but those are the only two numbers with that prefix that I ever dial. She was laughing her head off at me. As well she should. I even heard her son's voice on the answering machine and didn't even catch on to what I had done. Good grief. She had to replay the message three times so that I could write down everyone's hours, dial the correct number, and leave the message.
It's a wonder they even let me out of the house anymore.
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Stacy that is hilarious....it's a good laugh that I needed since I am about to take a C++ test in an hour.
Post a Comment