I had a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving. Wednesday night, my mom's family all came to her house and we met my uncle's new girlfriend. Of course, we all loved her and are all sitting around wondering when she will become an official part of our family. hehehe. Thursday, I went back to the parent's for lunch. Afterwards, we were all pretty lazy... just watching television and napping. That night Sister came over to my house. Crazy Cousin was supposed to join us, but she had family obligations and didn't get to make it. Friday, I flat refused to go within fifty miles of the Black Friday hoop-la, so I stayed at home most of the day. I did have to run a few errands, including going to the bank. I took Scruffy with me because he loves riding in the car. The lady at the bank drive-thru gave his a doggie biscuit just like she gives suckers to kids. How cute is that? Friday night, Sister and I went to eat with a friend of ours, and then we all came back to my house to watch chick-flicks. Fun times. Saturday was pretty much the same. I had lunch with a friend and then went to my brother's house to watch the Alabama-Auburn game. Terrible game. That's all I'll say about that. Sunday after church, a man who has just joined our church was baptized at the river. I've never witnessed that before, though I've heard my parents and grandparents talk about my entire life. It was an awesome thing to see. However, I'm glad it was him and not me, because the temperature was barely fifty degrees, and it was windy, and if the looks on his and the preacher's faces were any indication, the water was freezing. By Sunday night, I realized how much I had enjoyed my time off, and was sort of dreading going back to work on Monday. I've come to realize lately that I'm much more suited for a stay-at-home sort of job, hahaha.
But Monday didn't turn out like I had thought it would. I was awakened at 6:00a.m. by a phone call from work. That's never good. It doesn't matter where I am, or what time it is; when I see the work number on the caller i.d., I can feel my heart fall into my stomach. I'm always afraid that something has happened to one of the kids or adults, that something around there has broken or malfunctioned, or that someone is not coming into work (the latter is the case 99% of the time). But when I answered it, I was not expecting what I heard. "Kellye's daddy died." Immediately I burst into tears. For starters, Kellye is one of my best friends. She is younger than me, but she is awesome. She is also a huge Daddy's-girl. Her father has suffered from bad health due to heart disease and diabetes her entire life. He has been close to death's door several times over the past few years. He woke her mom up at 2am Sunday night/ Monday morning asking for a drink of water. Her mom woke up at 5am to get ready for the day and couldn't get him to wake up, nor could she find his pulse.
You just never know when it's going to happen to you. My heart is breaking for Kellye, because I hate to see my friends hurting knowing there's nothing I can say or do to ease their pain. Also, though I put myself in her shoes. With the exception of Cousin's daughter and Roommate's daughter, I'm probably the biggest Daddy's Girl I know. I can't imagine the pain that I would feel if I lost him. I have actual pains in my chest and get a little short of breathe when I think about it. I told one of my friends yesterday that I when I think about loosing my parents, I don't feel total despair because I know that they are Christians and that they will spend eternity in Heaven. Also, I know the same thing about me, so I have the assurance that we will all be better off in our afterlife than we are now. But it's the thinking about having to live the rest of my life without them that bothers me. I guess that's the selfish part of our human nature.
Ok... so this has been sort of depressing. I do have a couple of funny Scruffy stories that I'll share later. Please keep Kellye and her family in your prayers.
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment