I make thousands of decisions everyday. What to wear, what to eat, which road to take, etc. We all do. I've had fewer decisions to make the past few weeks because I'm not at work anymore. When I was working, I was making decisions all day long. Big deal, though, right? But suddenly I have a huge - phenomenally huge - decision to make. Last night my cousin called and told me that unofficially that I got the job I interviewed for on Wednesday, and should be receiving the necessary phone call about it today. I was so excited and so pumped up that I could hardly drive down the road! Then I got to my parents' house for Family Night, and my sister informed me that she unofficially heard that the place where I interviewed last week was planning on calling me today to offer that job. Wow. I have never had to choose between jobs before. And it is stressing me out. I was sick sick sick to my stomach this morning. Of course the first question everyone asks me is "which pays more?" Well, for starters they pay about the same. But also, one valuable life-lesson that I have learned is that money isn't everything. It's something alright, but not everything. Happiness is much more important that anything else.
I've been weighing the pro's and con's of both of them. They both offer the same money and benefits, and are both about the same driving distance from where I live. One offers 401K, has very little on-the-job-stress, and have the nicest and friendliest people in the world working there. The other does not have 401K, is more stressful, and have fewer friendly people there. However, that place has much more room for experience and advancement within its respective industry that I suspect the other place has. One important decision I have already made is what degree I want to work towards when I start back to school, which is suddenly the most forward thought on my mind. I want to go into Human Resources. I can't think of another thing in the world that would suit me any better than that. And no matter which job I choose now, once I get that degree, I could get a job virtually anywhere. Human Resources is a job that is pretty much across-the-board no matter where you go. HR people are in every industry, and are a vital part of companies' infrastructures.
This morning in my freak-out, I hit a wall and couldn't sort through any of my facts and choices. It hit me... you know that saying, "Today is the first day in the rest of your life"? Today really could be that day, ya know? How am I going to make this decision? What if I make the wrong choice? If I take "this" job, I can see my life going "this" way. If I take "that" job, I can see my life going "that" way. Which way do I want to go? I want to go "that" way, but I feel like I may be selling myself short by not choosing "this" way... Like I'm afraid of the atmosphere of that profession. Anyhow, I sent a friend of mine a text message with the "today is the first day" line and that I was freaking out about it. His response was very profound. It stopped me in my tracks, and helped me focus better. He said, "today is just that... today. God says trust Him, He will take care of tomorrow." He is so right. Today is just today. There are over 1,000 promises from God to us in the Bible, and none of them say "things will be easy" or "you will always know which choice to make." There are promises there that say "I will take care of you." For me, today, not matter what the other promises say, that's the one I like the most. He has been taking care of me, in so many awesome ways, and I know that when the time comes for me to make this choice, I will make the one God wants me to make.
One little funny sidebar about Scruffy. Yesterday I was totally scrubbed out. I was still in my pajamas, hadn't had a bath, hair in a nasty pony-tail, and was doing housework. I was a sad-looking picture. I was drying dishes and heard a truck in the driveway. I looked out the window and saw the Fed Ex guy at my landlord's house. A minute later, I heard a knock on the door. I saw that it was the Fed Ex guy, so I slung my towel over my shoulder and answered the door. What a sight I must have been!!! And I totally forgot about how Scruffy can act in the face of a stranger. How I forgot this, I don't know, but I remembered right about the time Scruffy ran out the door. He stopped short on the porch and I yelled in Fed Ex's face "He's not supposed to be out here... Catch him!!!" Then he ran off the porch and down the drive way. Fed Ex took off in a full sprint after him. I just knew that the little rascal would cross the street and hit the pasture - again - and was wondering just how far Fed Ex would run. Luckily, the garbage had just run, and Scruffy got excited about the empty garbage cans in the ditch that he stopped short to sniff them all. Fed Ex caught him and brought him back to me. I thanked him and said, "I guess chasing down dogs isn't really in your job description is it?" Fed Ex replied, "You'd be surprised, ma'am." Scruffy got another spanking and sat on the bed whining and pouting for about ten minutes. I told my landlady about it earlier today and she said, "Maybe you should get a baby-gate for him." She might be right...
Friday, January 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment