I have always known that I have a pretty good sense of direction. I think it comes from the fact that my father always took the back roads everywhere, and I was forced to keep up with where we were. Ok, not "forced to" but I found it necessary in case something happened, at least I could be the one more person to know where on Earth we were. LOL. The best example of my sense of direction (besides the other example of Cousin, Friend, and I driving from Alabama to Las Vegas without getting lost one single time) is when I took Sister to Montgomery to take her State Board test. We checked into the hotel, then went off to search for the testing site. We had Mapquest directions, and the site was easily found. But I wanted to see what there was to see in our state's capitol so I managed to find the downtown area. We drove around and around seeing all sorts of things: Hank Williams grave, the Capitol Building, some historic churches and other landmarks, etc. Sister was already on edge about her test and was utterly having a come-apart because she was sure that we were lost in the ghetto. Grant it, I'll admit that I never really knew exactly where we were, but I did know where we were going. And in a matter of minutes, I had us back on the interstate heading towards the hotel. She was impressed.
Today tested my abilities again. Yesterday Sister called me with a job tip. So-and-so knows so-and-so etc, and I was supposed to go to this certain office first thing this morning to fill out an application and turn in my resume. No big deal. I asked Sister how to get to this place, seeing as how I had never heard of it before. If you don't know anything about Huntsville, let me fill you in... the legal district runs directly into the medical district and each are surrounded by never ending construction projects, road-closings, detours, and ghettos. Even if you do know how to get there today, next week, you'll get lost all over again. The directions I got were as detailed as this: "instead of turning right to go here, turn left. Go through a two-way stop sign, and you'll see it." OK... wow. The "here" that they were talking about has about five different entrances. When I finally figured out which entrance they were talking about, the road to the left was closed because a new building is being constructed there. Go figure. I went up another block and circled around and there it was. I was amazed that I found it.
Luckily, I didn't have an appointment time because the whole ordeal had me driving around those four blocks of town for about a half hour. I met a few people who worked there, and filled out the application. The manager wanted to interview me today, but was called out of the office. I go tomorrow for that. I really have no idea what I'll be doing other than "office work" nor do I have any idea of what they do in their office really. It's something medical related. Other than that, I'm not sure what they do. Even if I did know now, I couldn't tell you because the first thing I had to do when I got there was fill out a "visitor's form" vowing to keep whatever I heard or saw while in the office I would keep confidential. But from what I saw, everyone there was enjoying their job. They were all dressed in company Polo's and khaki pants. Everyone I saw seemed busy and task-oriented, but no one seemed stressed out. That's a good thing. It took me an hour to fill out their very in-depth application, and my interview is tomorrow morning. Say a prayer for me!!!
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ha! If you get the job just wait until Widespread Panic comes to town or Big Spring Jam starts up then all of downtown gets shut down. Extra driving fun!
Post a Comment