Tuesday, January 8, 2008
A Different Day
I didn't blog about this the other day because I was busy going on about the cop incident. But Sunday was a totally different day for me. Along with leaving my job, I've also left my church. I was more than ready to leave work... I've been burnt out for sometime, and though I will miss the girls I worked with and the kids, I was ready for that change in my life to take place. I was a little more apprehensive about leaving church. I knew it was time, and I was excited at the thought of having the freedom to visit with friends and family at their churches because that's something that I haven't been able to do. My apprehension comes solely from the fact that I have been going to church there for fourteen and a half years - that's over half of my life. And with that comes a deep love that I have for the church itself, the people at the church, and the community. This is a move that I probably should have made several months ago, but for one reason or another I didn't. I talked to a friend of mine last week and made plans to attend church with her and her family this past Sunday. While I was getting ready for church, which I did without the dread that I've felt in getting ready for church for a long time now, it occurred to me that I may have a hard time driving by my old church to go to the new one. As it turns out though, I drove by there with no feeling one way or the other. When I got to my friend's church, I knew a moment of anxiety in walking in alone. However, that faded away as quickly as it came on. I was greeted at the door with smiling faces and cheery welcomes. I found my friends and took my seat. In the ten minutes I was there before service started (yes I was ten minutes early!) I was greeted my probably half the church. They had several different things going on that day and the service lasted a while, but I enjoyed it so much! I had forgotten how much I enjoyed church. Let me insert this disclaimer here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my old church. The people there are wonderful, and the services are wonderful. But it was undeniably time for me to leave and therefore my personal enjoyment there had faded. All in all I felt very welcomed by everyone I met there, and as soon as my friend told everyone that I played the piano, they all started making plans for getting me involved there. I explained that I'm on a break, and not ready to jump right back into the fire so to speak, but already I feel drawn there. I have already obligated myself for the next couple of Sundays at different churches, but I am very much looking forward to going back there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad you had a great time. I think you did make the right decision about leaving, although I'm sure it's hard.
Post a Comment