Sunday, January 6, 2008

Law Abiding Citizen or Common Criminal?

Friday was my last day at work. I'll be out on the job hunt starting first thing in the morning. Over the weekend, I had a very promising prospect fall my way so I'll be following up on that, and making a few other stops. But that's not what I'm blogging about today. This past Wednesday, I was off work so that I could pass out some resumes and do a little networking. I managed to land back in town at lunch time so of course, I was at The Depot. I didn't tarry long though, because I had a few more errands to run, including taking Roommate's son to the dentist. I backed my car out of the parking lot after I finished lunch and stopped before I pulled onto the road to re-apply my lipstick. As I did that, a deputy pulled into the parking lot and then back out onto the road, then into the next parking lot, and turned around. I went to the gas station, never paying the cop another thought. I got gas, then went to the next store to buy cigarettes. I left that store and was headed to Roommate's house. It was then that I noticed the cop was sitting at City Hall, and pulled out behind me. He was following me and I couldn't figure out why. As I turned onto the next road, his lights came on. I pulled over, and I was totally freaking out. He came up to my window and said, "Are you lost?" I said, "No, sir." Then he says, "Well it seems a little suspicious that when you saw me, you took off from that restaurant, went to two stores and now you've hit the back roads." So in the most non-smart-ass way I could muster, I explained my actions. "Well... I had just had lunch at The Depot, I went to Nita's to get gas, then I went to the other store to buy cigarettes because Nita charges too much for them. Now I'm on my way to pick up my friend's kid so that I can take him to the dentist." He agreed with me about Nita charging too much for cigarettes, but ran my license anyways. He came back to my car and said that I could go, but that he was surprised to find that I wasn't up to anything because "it's not everyday somebody gets one over on me." What a jackass! Soldier said that he probably just saw a pretty girl in a car by herself and was just gonna see how far he could take it. That thought crossed my mind while he was following me, especially since I was on the back roads. I put together a quick plan of how to make sure that if he pulled me over I would be near plenty of people. Luckily though, as it turned out, a couple of the teachers from school were out walking on the road I was on and they were close enough to witness anything that may have happened. And luckily, nothing happened. But the whole thing shook me up so badly that I never once thought to get his name off of his badge. Otherwise, I would have called and turned his ass in.

1 comment:

Beth said...

The way cops are now, I'm surprised you didn't get tased or body searched. They're not Andy Griffiths anymore.