I went for my interview this morning. I was almost late, and made it just in time. I hate that about myself - that I always run late. I need to work on that. When I interviewed for the RA position in college, and then when I was on the interviewing committees, one of the questions asked was always "what are your personal strengths and weaknesses?" I'm glad they didn't ask those questions, because I have the hardest time trying to come up with good answers to those. Obviously my two worst weaknesses are running late and procrastination (which go hand-in-hand) but those are scary traits to throw out there during an interview. And it's hard to be modest when relating what your own strengths are. I think my best strength is will power. After all, I've lost 90 (maybe 90+, I need to weigh again b/c I'm beginning to notice saggy butt syndrome in my new jeans) all on my own. And I have this philosophy... "I can do anything for x amount of time." Like when I got my tattoo; it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but it wasn't comfortable. The guy told me it would take 20 minutes, and I said, "I got this. I can do anything for 20 minutes." My last day at work, when I was ready to just go, one of my friends sent me an email "You only have three more hours left. You can do it." And he was right. It was just three hours. Anyhow...
I had three interviews of my own in college, and was a member of numerous interview committees back then. Since college, I have only been on one interview and I didn't get the job. There was no harm in that though because as it turned out, I wouldn't have enjoyed the job very much. It's been three years since that interview and the last time I was interviewed before that was about six or seven years ago. Where does the time go? Anyhow, I think the interview went really well. It's kind of weird though... they didn't ask me many questions. First I went in with the HR lady, then the office manager. They both spent a lot of time giving me the company history, what they do, and how they do it. They told me what the training would consist of and what would be expected of me. They informed me of the benefit package, dress code, etc. The OM even told me the names of the people in the office who are not nice, just so that I would have the heads-up in case I get the job. He likes that I like Alabama football, and was amazed at how fast I can type. When I told him I attributed that talent to having played the piano in church for over ten years, he said he wished there was a piano in the office so that I could serenade him. He was a very nice, personable man, and it has just occurred to me that he could be my new boss in just a few days. When I was with the HR lady, I expressed my concern about not having any experience in this field what-so-ever. She gave me just the answer I had prayed for: "We prefer it that way. This business is pretty universal wherever you go, but we prefer to bring in inexperienced people so that we can train them the way we want to. You know that saying, 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks?' Well, that's what we think too, and it's just easier on us to find new blood. After you go through our four week training program, you'll have the experience you need." Then the OM told me that after I had worked there for a year, I would be able to take those skills and find any job in the industry if I so pleased, and if I stayed there for several years, I could be managing those types of offices. How awesome is that? Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Way to go Stacy!!! I am so excited for you. You definitly needed a new direction in your life. Good Luck!!
Good luck! This brings back all my memories of applying for jobs in the DC area. It was NOT easy! On one interview, I got lost on the way (which I never do, but it was the DC area), and was 30 minutes late!!! I didn't get the job (obviously), but as the cliche goes, it was a good learning experience. Hope you find the career that you're looking for!
Post a Comment