Sunday, January 21, 2007

Caution: My Drama May Spread to Others

Yes indeed... The more time people spend with me, the more drama they are prone to have in their own lives. Here's a bit from this weekend.


For several weeks, a friend from church and I have been practicing "God Bless the Broken Road." She was asked to sing it in her niece's wedding, and I am her piano accompaniment. We have practiced one or twice a week for the past few weeks. She sings beautifully, and we were SO ready for the wedding.
I went to the Depot Friday night when I got off work. I needed a quick supper before the rehearsal. I was sitting a big table with some friends, and the Depot was filling up fast. A crowd of people came in at the same time. (I always sit where I can see the door because I'm incredibly nosey and need to know who's coming and going.) In the midst of the crowd at the door, I saw Ex come through the door. I haven't seen him since that awkward day a few weeks ago when he and Crush were there at the same time. Since we're still "friends" we spoke to each other. There were a few jokes passed back and forth between him and some people at my table. Then he took his seat in the back with the rest of his party. After that, some more friends from church came in and Cousin and her family came in. Ex was fixing his plate at the buffet and asked me if this was the night I was planning on buying his supper. I told him "no" of course. And I reminded him that I was always in the market for someone to buy mine. Coincidentally, someone did buy my supper, but is was not Ex. Anyways... we were all having a great time, but I had to cut it short so that I could make it to rehearsal.
I got to rehearsal, and hopped in the car with my friend. I was actually early, and the girl with the key to the building had not made it there yet. Before rehearsal started Friend told me her drama of the day. I asked her if I could blog about it because nothing this interesting had happened to me all week.


She was on her way home from work. She was stopped at a red light; in front of her was an SUV, and in front of the SUV was an 18-wheeler. Beside the 18-wheeler was another 18 wheeler. When the light changed, the SUV passed in front of the second truck and was free to flow. Friend followed suit. As she was changing lanes, she saw a plastic gas can in the lane she was merging to. Being behind one truck and trying to pass another one, she didn't have any other choice other than to hit the can. So she did. Then she heard it dragging along under her car. Afraid it would spark and blow her up, she pulled over and called her husband. She's big-pregnant and knew she would be unable to look under the car - much less free the can. Husband was on his way to her when a man and his son pulled up behind her and came to her rescue. She made it home without further drama. When she told me the story, I just looked at her and said, "I'm sorry. My luck has rubbed off on you." But it doesn't end there...

The next day before the wedding, she and I were setting up the sound system and practicing one last time. I had thought the night before that the groom and the bride's father both looked very familiar to me, but I still had not figured out why. After we had everything set up, another man who looked familiar to me walked up to Friend. He hugged her, asked how she was, congratulations on the pregnancy, etc. Then he went back to his seat. "Who is that man?" Her answer:"My ex-husband." Oh my gosh!!! I would have never guessed! I knew that she had been married and divorced before I met her. I met her because she married a childhood friend of mine. But how awkward must it have been to be in the same place as your ex-husband - and at a wedding for that matter? She handled it well. Apparently, they parted on pretty good terms. She was giving me the juicy details of the short-lived marriage and divorce when her husband arrived. The first person that he saw and talked to... the ex-husband. They shook hands and swapped small-talk. Wow. As it turns out, the ex-husband is related to my roommate's husband. I knew that he looked familiar, but I just couldn't place him. Anyways... bless her heart. There she was surrounded by the drama. But she did an amazing job. She nailed the song and owned the place despite the ghost. She handled the drama with such grace. I think I'm going to try to learn from her and start handling mine with less freak-outs.

Now... here's how small the world is. I still haven't figured out exactly why I think the groom looked so familiar. But I'm pretty sure that I met him once when I was with Ex. Not important. However, when I was on my way home from the wedding, it was really bugging me trying to figure out how I knew the ex-husband and the bride's father. When I got home, I opened the laptop to blog about Friend's drama and there it was! A picture of Roommate's husband with the Friend's ex-husband and the bride's father!!! I have been looking at this picture everyday for three and half months! What are the chances?

No comments: