Wednesday, January 3, 2007

My Day in History

Yesterday, while I was at lunch I called Cousin. We talked for a while about this and that. As the conversation rolled along, I realized that two people I know have the same birth date. Same month, same day, same year. This is very random. The two do not know each other, but they both know me. It is strange. I'll just call them Guy and Girl. They will be turning 36 this year. Girl has had an eventful 20 years with men, drugs, and mental disease. She is the only person I personally know who has ever had electro-shock treatment. Guy has had an eventful 15 years or so struggling with his financial downfalls. Girl was diagnosed some years ago as a manic depressive with schizophrenic tendencies. The newer and more politically correct term for that now is bi-polar. And, as fate would have it, her first doctor was a bit a quack himself, and she really doesn't have schizo-tendencies. Even the shock treatments were unnecessary. Not long ago I was talking to someone about bi-polar disorder, and manic behavior; that's when it hit me that maybe Guy suffered from one of the two of these. Things in his world are either top-of-the-mountain or bottom-of-the-pit. There is never an in-between. Same thing with Girl. I have never thought of them as having any similarities before. But suddenly, yesterday during a random conversation, I realize that they were born on the very same day. I said to Cousin, "It would be very interesting to look up that day in history and see what must have been going on." So last night, I looked it up. As it turns out, a few significant events have happened on that day throughout history, but I found nothing significant for that day and year.
I said all of that to say this. Curiosity had me. I was on a cool website, which I will post at the end of this blog, and I just had to check my birthday. June 25, 1980. Wouldn't you know it; not one cool thing happened on June 25, 1980. However, I did find a few cool things that have happened on June 25 throughout history. I only had knowledge of two of these things.

My Day in History

  • 1630 - The fork was introduced to American dining by a Gov. Winthrop
  • 1638 - A lunar eclipse became the first recorded astronomical event in the US
  • 1868 - Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina were readmitted to the United States of America
  • 1876 - General Custer and the 7th Calvary were massacred by the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians at the Battle of Little Bighorn
  • 1929 - President Hoover authorized the construction of the Boulder Dam, now called the Hoover Dam
  • 1938 - Federal law mandated minimum wage to be set to $0.40/hour
  • 1951 - The first color TV Broadcast was done by CBS. The feed came from NYC and was sent to four US cities.
  • 1953 - Anchorage, Alaska recorded a temperature of 86 degrees F
  • 1962 - Supreme Court ruled NY school prayer was unconstitutional
  • 1963 - Birthday of George Michael and Mike Meyers
  • 1967 - 400 million people watched the Beatles "Our World" TV special

This is in no way a complete list of the things that happened on my birthday in history. These are just the things I found the most interesting. There is a large host of baseball records and what-not, but I care nothing of those things. Check out your day. The website is : www.scopesys.com/anyday . I think you'll enjoy it. Let me know if you do it...

1 comment:

My world said...

On my birthday (January 23, 1970):

Australia's 1st amateur radio satellite (Oscar 5) launched (California);
US launches 2nd generation weather satellite, ITOS 1;
Dolle Mina burns her bra in Amsterdam; and
US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site