When I created this blog site, I was trying to think of the perfect title. I think "World of Stacy" is more than sufficient to describe what my life is like. Literally, it is something every day. This has begun to wear off on those who are closest to me. Roommate, Cousin, Sister, and several more tend to have increasing amounts of drama, and I fear that it's my presence in their life.
One quick example of what I'm talking about: Last week Cousin had to take her son to the dentist. I got lost on the exact details of his visit, but I know they are basically doing some "pre-orthodontics" work in his mouth. One of his back teeth had turned slightly, so to correct it, they attached a coil around it. I had these coils, or springs, when I had braces; I remember that generally, they are nothing too dramatic. But not this time. After leaving the dentist, Cousin and Son were at McDonald's. Son started screaming that his tongue was stuck. When Cousin looked in his mouth, sure enough, his tongue was stuck in the springy-thing. She couldn't get him unstuck. I would have panicked. She just drove straight back to the dentist and let them deal with it. They got it unstuck with very little problems. The nurse told Cousin that the dentist said he had never seen that happen before and would probably never see it happen again. Sorry, Cousin.
Here are two things that have happened in my life this week that have never happened to me before. Two things that just make me shake my head.
Wednesday, I left work early with a co-worker so that we could go to Sam's and buy supplies for work, and then to Wal-Mart to buy groceries for the kiddies. By the time we had everything unloaded at work, it was 7:30. We were tired and hungry so we headed across the street to my FAVORITE restaurant. I go there so much that the people who own it seem like my family; I consider them close friends. There are several other people in our community that frequent the place almost as much as I do. Two of them, both men, were in there Wednesday night, as well as Roommate and her kids. There were two new faces at the "big" table that night. They were Chinese faces. Apparently, the two were the guests of the other two men. As Co-worker and I arrived, I began picking up on clues as to where these "foreigners" were from and what they were doing at this modest little restaurant. They were, in fact, from China. One manages a Chinese restaurant, which is how he knew the other two men. He spoke English very well, and very much enjoyed telling us about the customs, economy, etc. in China. His friend spoke no English. According to China-man, everything in China is cheap. He had on a very nice suit, probably worth $400-$500. He said that in China, it would cost a mere $40. All fireworks are made in China. Every car company in the world, with Ford being the only exception, have huge bases in China. Most salt and pepper shakers, home decorations, neck ties... actually, most everything you can buy at Wal-Mart was made in China. Besides the whole Communist thing, China seems like the place to be. If you're a man. Women are expected to be very submissive there, according to him. They are expected to walk behind their men. I could never survive there. But the cost of living seems very affordable. Restaurant-husband, who is not known for being politically correct, just had to ask the question we all want the answer to. "So, do y'all really eat cats?" I wanted to fall in the floor laughing, but I was a little nervous about where the conversation was headed, so I maintained. The China-man was not offended. He was glad to set the record straight, although his answer was somewhat disturbing. "No. We don't eat cats. That is gross. Occasionally, we eat dogs. The Koreans mainly eat them, but once every six months or so, I will have dog. It is very good. Better than chicken. But you have to be careful. If something is wrong with the dog and you eat it anyways, you will die immediately." We were all disturbed by this, especially Restaurant-wife and Roommate, who are both avid dog-lovers. He went on to explain that no one will just steal your pet and cook him up. They raise certain breeds of dogs, mainly large dogs, just for eating - kind of like we raise pigs and cows. Restaurant-wife asked China-man how to say "stupid dog" in Chinese. "Be'n go' " Pronounced more like "bon-gow" That's her husband's new nickname. Husband was sitting off to the side and was pretending to speak Chinese. He was jabbering away in his little corner. I was laughing my head off at him. There were many times that I was laughing so hard that I could barely breathe. Other times, I was not laughing because I wasn't quite sure where all of this was headed. The coolest part of the whole night was when one of the American men asked Roommate about her husband. The China-man that didn't understand English, heard "Iraq" and his ears perked up. As we were leaving, he said something to his friend. China-man asked Roommate, "Is your husband in Iraq?" She said "yes." China-man 2 rattled off something to China-man 1. China-man 1 translated to Roommate, "He said tell you 'God bless you and your husband.'" Awesome. All in all it was quite an experience.
Yesterday: Thursday is pay-day. Every Thursday I have the same routine. I do the big deposit for the week, talk to the Accountant to find out the numbers for the week, write out everyone's checks, take the deposit to the bank, take my check to the other bank, and then finally go to lunch. Usually, I am in my seat at the Restaurant no earlier than 2pm on Thursdays. Almost a year ago, I met a very nice-looking and available guy there on a Thursday. He is from a Latino country (not Mexican) but was born and raised just two hours from where I live. He speaks English as his first language, but has a cute accent. He is divorced with two kids. At first, the Restaurant-gang were trying to hook us up with each other, but that didn't pan out so well. Soon after I began dating someone else, and didn't see Thursday-guy for months. Just as I was breaking up with Ex, Thursday-guy came back and we instantly became friends. A couple of months ago, he started flirting a little. However, I can never tell if he's interested in me or if he's just a nice guy. I did get a chance to tell Ex about Thursday-guy right before we broke up. If Ex was ever in the Restaurant on a Thursday, he would definitely know who I was talking about. That's the quick history. Here's what happened yesterday. I went walking into the Restaurant and one of the girls was snapping her fingers at me to get my attention. She said "Ex is over there." "Great" I said. I walked in and took my seat at the table next to his and his friends'. We talked about a few various things. I was sick, and so shocked that he was in there in the middle of the day that I didn't have it in me to be my normal bubbly self. But I was friendly and sociable. It was a little weird though. Then... here comes Thursday-guy. He comes walking in and Ex's mouth dropped. Thursday-guy walked right up to me and said, "Hey darlin', how was your Christmas?" The conversation ensued and Ex never managed to say another thing. When he and his friends left, he told me "good-bye" but wouldn't even look me in the face. In the midst of the drama, I ordered a hot-fudge cake. When she brought it out to me, she said "I think you might need two of these today." I shared in her opinion, but was so distraught with the drama that I was completely unable to finish my plate of lunch or the hot-fudge cake in their entirety. This story probably doesn't mean a lot to anyone who doesn't know me, but to those of you who do, you know what a predicament I was in. It was most awesome really. I have thought of little else since. Just one more thing to make me shake my head.
Friday, January 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So glad I could be there to witness your drama!
Post a Comment