Friday, May 18, 2007
A Night With the Family
For those of you who weren't already aware of this, my family has dinner together every Thursday night at my parents' house. My mom always cooks something really delicious and we all catch up on our week. It's really awesome, and something that all families should do if they can. I got off work a few minutes early last night and headed straight there. When I got there, only Mom and Dad were there. I was in the kitchen watching Mom put the finishing touches on dinner, trying to decided whether or not I was gonna spill the beans about the tattoo. Finally, I just said, "You're not gonna like this very much I think, but look what I did." Her first words were, "Is that real?" Ha! Then her temper hit a little bit. She lectured me about how unsafe it was to get a tattoo and how she hopes and prays that I don't hepatitis. Then, for good measure, the asked, "What did your daddy say about it?" He had said nothing because he had yet to see it. Eventually I wondered back to the couch with Dad, but I didn't show it to him right then. Finally, Mom came in and said in a snappy, tattle-tale sort of way, "Well... did you show it to him?" So I did. He didn't try to hide the anger in his voice when he said, "Why did you do that?" "Because I wanted to, and I'm nearly 27 years old, and can pretty much do whatever I want..." My mom was standing by to clarify the situation for him just in case he didn't seem to fully grasp it. "It's real," she said. DUH!!! Luckily for me, my dad is cool enough most of the time to understand that his children are adults and are capable of making their own decisions, even if he doesn't agree with them. Thankfully the matter was dropped throughout dinner. After dinner though, my shirt had raised itself and my Sister-n-law tried to inconspicuously pull it down for me. I said, "Don't worry. He already knows." My brother pounced on this and said, "Were you disappointed in her?" "Yeah." Then my brother, being the comedian that he is, jumped right in. "Alright! All these years I've been the disappointment. Finally the 'Golden Child' gets to share it with me! Now all you (pointing at my sister) have to do is get knocked up when you and your guy friend go to the beach and then we'll all be even!" As ridiculous as it was, he was so cracked up and full of energy when he said all of that, that all of us were roaring with laughter. Thankfully it took the pressure off of me and nothing else was mentioned about it for the rest of the night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
well at least it's all out in the open and you don't have to worry about it anymore!!!
Post a Comment