Monday, May 21, 2007

You Can Dress Me Up, But Can't Take Me Out

Let me start by saying that I am feeling so incredibly... blah today. It's a combination of sinuses, fatigue, and that "special" time. My stomach is in terrible shape; probably a combination of the fatigue, travel, and the jostling my insides took on all the roller coasters Saturday. Friday night I layed down in the bed at 9pm hoping to fall asleep early so that waking up at 4:30 wouldn't be such a shock to the system. That was pointless because I didn't fall asleep until around 11:00. Luckily, 4:30 wasn't too big of a shock because I was so excited about going to Six Flags. I was only mildly tired on the way there, but a nice hot cup of coffee woke me up. Six Flags was a blast! We took my nephew (not really my nephew, he's Cousin's son, but he might as well be a nephew), and my Uncle (who is three years older than me and three years younger than Cousin) went too. Nephew is only seven and has never ridden a "real" roller coaster before. We started him off on the Georgia Cyclone, and he immediately found his new love. No coaster went too high, too fast, or flipped upside down and around too many times for him. In fact, he totally kicked his mom's butt because she wouldn't ride two of the rides and he hopped on with no fear. She was waiting at the exit gate for us, praying her heart out for his safety while he was laughing harder and harder at every flip and turn. I'm not sure which was more fun; indulging myself in my own love of roller coasters or watching him have the time of his life during his first "grown up" trip to an amusement park. There were of course several memorable moments from our trip. For instance, while we were on Thunder River, we all got a decent soaking. Right at the end, though, I was about to turn around to tell Cousin something when a wall of water hit me right in the face. Since my mouth was open to speak, I got a mouth full of water! I spit it out in a furry... all over Uncle! (That was an accident!!!) Then there was the teenage girl we kept encountering who had drawn a spider web across her face with eyeliner. At some point during the day, she had made the mistake of buying a pair of pink, sequined bunny ears with flashing lights in them. She proudly sported them for the rest of the day as if she had just made the coolest fashion statement that Six Flags Over Georgia had ever seen. Then there were the people that were too fat to be wearing the clothes they were wearing. One old man, who appeared to be almost too broken down to even walk around, was standing in line to ride the Scream Machine. His ensemble was complete with his cowboy boots and flannel shirt... in May. We were almost in the middle of a fight while waiting in line at Batman. Some stupid older teenagers were cutting in line. Everyone was aggravated and had worked to cut them off, but the one guy started mouthing to them, and I was afraid a brawl was about to ensue. Fearing the same, Cousin stopped the guy who had cut line (he had come to a stop right in front of her) and basically told him that he was not about to start any crap in that building as long as her seven year old was there to witness it. The two hot-heads cooled off for the remainder of the wait, but continued to glare each other down with intensity until we were finally out of the "cattle room." All in all though, the trip was awesome! But as soon as we got back in the car to come home, the fatigue hit me full force. I managed to stay awake the entire time, but once we got back to Cousin's house, I didn't have it in me to drive back to my house. I had to crash at her place. Yesterday morning I got on up without too many problems. I showered at her house and then went home to change for church. Since I was feeling a little out of it, I decided to wear the cute little black dress that I bought a couple of months ago. I haven't worn it yet because I had been waiting on the "perfect" occasion. What could be more perfect that needing to dress myself up to make myself feel better? On top of that, we were to meet my family for lunch to celebrate Sister's upcoming birthday. The dress totally worked, but the shoes are a different story. They are so cute, and I can walk in them with little problems despite their high, pointy heel. The problem is that the strap doesn't stay on the back of my foot very well so they tend to slip. I have poked extra holes in the straps until there is no more room for another one, but still they slip. When I got to church I remembered that I hadn't had any coffee since I got up. I was nearly a zombie by the time church started. I was seated at the piano, and manged to make only a few mistakes during the song service. Then the song service was over. I needed to take a restroom break before church began, and was thankful that I was finally able to get the chance. The steps that lead to the piano are not only an eye-sore, but they are nearly unmanageable as well. They are too steep and too narrow. One second I was trying to gracefully maneuver my spikey heels and the narrow steps, and the next second I was sitting on my butt on the floor! Had I not been so tired and ill already, I would have been mortally embarrassed; if not from the fall itself then from the collective gasp that rippled through the sanctuary. The only time I panicked was when I realized I was sitting on the floor and it occurred to me that my cute little black dress must be up over my head. Thankfully, it wasn't. Other than that, I just sat there for a few more seconds in disgust at what else could possibly go wrong. I did finally get up and take my seat though. Then I was so cracked up that I could barely maintain my composure. Finally I had to excuse myself to the restroom so that I could relieve myself and get my giggles under control. I still laugh when I think about myself in my very best outfit, hair like I like it, makeup fixed just right, sitting in a frumpled pile on the floor!

No comments: