Monday, June 11, 2007

Just a Typical Monday

I didn't exactly start today off with a running start. I had a pretty busy weekend, with little time for rest and relaxation, and this morning I could feel the affects. I was awakened to the sound of horses. I've heard them around the house before, but this morning they were especially loud. It sounded like they were just right in the front yard. It appears that it's one of our neighbors, or possible a guy who still uses horses to help in his logging work. I could hear men talking and what appeared to be a four-wheeler engine or something like that. The woods are so thick right now that I couldn't see where it was coming from. But it has me intrigued.

I got to work, and everything rolled along fairly well. I am pretty tired, and apparently look it, because one of the kids told me as much. That was lovely. I left my car windows down today because it's always too hot in the car if I don't. I have also gotten into a habit of leaving the keys in the car when I do this so that in the off-chance it might rain, I won't have to waste time searching for my keys to get the windows back up. When the keys are in the ignition, the car dings at me when I open the door. I heard the dinging this morning, and never thought to check the lights. I mean, why would I? It was a bright day and I couldn't remember turning on the lights, so the dinging I assumed was for the keys alone. I was wrong. Two hours later, one of the girls was just arriving to work and she said, "Your lights are on." In all of my logic, I replied, "Well, the battery must not be dead because if it were, the lights wouldn't still be burning." I was wrong. Again. I left for lunch just at that moment. When I tried to start the engine, it wouldn't turn over. There was enough juice left in the battery to make the lights and the radio work, but not enough to crank the engine. I turned off the lights and just walked to lunch. It's pretty hot outside, and I wasn't at all excited about that. Thankfully though, the sun is not very visible today so it wasn't as bad of a walk as it could have been. When I got back from lunch, the battery had had enough time to juice itself up a little. The car did crank. For good measure I called the man from church that always fixes my car. He told me to let it run for 15 to 30 minutes to give the battery time to fully charge itself again and then I should be home free. So that's what I did. Only, an hour later I finally remembered to turn off the stupid car. The car didn't run hot or anything, but it makes me mad to think about the small fortune in gas that I wasted.

Now about lunch... right before the whole "your lights are on" incident, my Depot Friend called me. I'm going to have to come with with a new name for her in the blog because she no longer works at The Depot. I can't imagine how hard it must be to work with your family and I knew the day would come when she would leave. However, I'm going to miss her very much. Lunch isn't going to be half as wonderful now since she won't be there. I'm just nearly devastated. Plus, on top of that, The Depot was packed out today and was totally crazy. She always handles the crowd pretty well, and things weren't clicking in her absence. There were probably 15 people in line to pay their bill when I got there. ~One of whom was a very good looking guy that was totally checking me out!~ I knew most everyone in there, including three people from my hometown that I haven't seen in forever. The two Depot Aunts had come in for lunch and got thrown to the wolves helping out; they were doing the best they could, but it was pretty crazy. Depot Lady was pretty upset, but didn't have much time to gripe about the whole thing because of how busy the restaurant was. I told Depot Lady that I would call her tonight when I got off work to see if I needed to come help her. If they're busy, I could use the tip money.

On top of all of that, we're short handed at work today. Luckily, we were short on kids too. The kids that are here seem to be leaving for home fairly early, so that's a good thing. Maybe we'll get to leave a little early this afternoon.

This weekend was busy. I won't get into it all, but here's the quick run-down: Friday night - wedding rehearsal, then hung out with friends driving from one end of town to the other twice. Then I fell asleep on my friend's couch. People kept throwing things at me so finally I woke up and we went home. Saturday - met Dad for breakfast, played the piano in the wedding, went to Sister-in-law's jewelry party. I hate those parties, but my mom bought me a necklace, so not too many complaints there. Sunday - church, Mexican with friends from church, church again, then hung out at Friend's house again. He was having some tests run today and was having to drink some nasty medicine. Roommate and I were there to make sure he drank it all. I felt really sorry for him. The tests today went well and he has surgery tomorrow. Whew... No wonder I'm so tired today.

1 comment:

Ketti Johnson said...

I miss you too :( :( :( :( :(