Thursday, June 7, 2007

What is the World Coming To?

This is not the reason for this blog, but I think it's worth mentioning. Yesterday at lunch I found out that Ex's wedding has been postponed. Apparently the new girlfriend figured out that she wasn't going to have enough to get everything pulled together before June 30. The person who told me this was completely convinced that there was nothing more to it than that. She might be right, but she doesn't know him like I do. The lack of time might be the reason now, but I'm guessing that this is the beginning of the end for the two of them. I've had my doubts, but have let them go in wishing for his happiness. But it is quite interesting to see how all of this is beginning to play out. I informed Work Friend of this development (her husband work's with Ex's friend so she sometimes has the scoop) and she said that apparently Fiance is upset about having to pay for this wedding by herself. I was thinking, Well, sweetie, you are marrying Ex. Did you think he was going to pay for it? No. How could he? All that big money that he always talks about making he just sends right out with the mail on all his bills. That doesn't leave enough to pay for a wedding. I said as much to Work Friend and then asked why her daddy (who is a prominent political leader in our area) wasn't paying for it. Her answer, "Because he paid for the first three and isn't falling for the 'but daddy this is the real one this time, I promise' routine anymore." It's going to be fun to see how this unfolds in the future.

This is the part I intended to write, and speaking of relationships... Last night I was on my way home from dinner at Chili's with some of my family. I was listening to John Tesh (I know, I'm old and pathetic, forgive me...) and he reported something I found both interesting and ridiculous. Wal-mart stores in Germany have instigated a new marketing scheme. On Friday nights from 6:00-8:00, they are hosting a match-making/ find-a-date sort of thing. When you enter the store, the door greeter asks if you are single and here for the "festivities" or whatever. If you are single and there to find a date, the door greeter will tie a bow to your buggy. As you do your shopping, you can check out other bow-tagged buggies and if you find one you like, you can feel free to approach. For those who are not brave enough to approach a total stranger, Wal-mart has taken the liberty of setting up "Flirt Points" near places like the wine isle and the romantic music section. Hmmm... I wonder what kinds of people you would find in the automotive department... LOL!!! John said that right now reports are that this Find-a-Date night is a hit in the German stores. Most people participating are older, he said, and say they're not comfortable searching for a mate among the bar-scene. But you're OK slapping a bow on your buggy at the grocery store? Come on... Wal-mart says that if this takes off like they think it will, then they will eventually integrate the date-night to some of their other European stores, and that we Americans can expect to see such within the next decade. What is the world coming to? I mean, not only can you get everything you need - and I do mean EVERYTHING you need at Wal-mart - but now you can also find your next boyfriend or girlfriend there too! It's a little too much for me to take in. Hmmm... maybe I should tell Ex he needs to spend more time at Wam-mart!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Seems like I heard about the Wal-Mart dating in the U.S. a few years ago??? Back when I was in DC, I knew quite a few people who did Eharmony. I was surprsied, and even have a friend up there who married the guy she met on Eharmony. Don't think I'm suggesting you use it.:)You're pretty and smart so I have no doubt you'll find your Prince Charming--which I assume is not Mr. Big. I must admit I had my doubts about Big from the beginning.

Stacy said...

I had my doubts too. I'm just glad it's all over!