Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Day 2; I Love Lucy

Well... I didn't make a big deal about it yesterday, which was day-one, but for the second day in a row, I got my butt off the couch and onto the treadmill. As it turns out, waking up early is not a problem if you get in bed at a decent time. Who knew? Monday night I was quite tired, so I went to bed a little early - well early for me. 10:00p.m. As a result, I woke up yesterday at 6:45a.m. I didn't actually get out of the bed until 7:00, but who's counting? When I finally did get out of the bed, I had my coffee and watched the Today Show. At around 8:15, I was bored and not really wanting to go in to work early, so I hopped on the treadmill. It was a little haphazard. I did a few minutes of a warm-up, then stepped it up pretty good. Then I grabbed the weights. They are five pounds each, and were a little more than I wanted to handle, so I dropped those after about a minute. But I did get thirty good minutes in and worked up a little sweat. I actually did feel more energetic at work yesterday, so that was great! By the time I got home last night, it was 9:00, and I was so tired!!! I washed my face, did some reading on a Sunday School lesson that I missed a few weeks ago, and was asleep by 9:30. Whew!
This morning, I woke right up at 6:15. I tried to doze back off, but that wasn't working, so at 6:45, I was out of the bed. I got my coffee going, then started some laundry. I played on the internet for a little while and watched the Today Show again. (In case you couldn't tell, I am addicted to the Today Show.) After that, I watched American Idol on Tivo. I realized that it was 8:15, so - get this - I turned off the television, even though I had not watched all of Idol, and got my shoes on, and hopped on the treadmill again. This time, I made a plan. I even wrote it down. 5 minutes - Warm up, 10 minutes - Walk hard, 5 minutes - Add weights, 5 minutes - jog, 5 minutes - Cool down. 30 minutes total. I get really impatient during the warm up and the cool down. It helps that the treadmill is right next to the television, so I still get to take in the Today Show while I'm walking. When I got those weights, I didn't think I was going to make it the full five minutes. I just told myself "Stacy, you can do anything for five minutes." I did different things with the weights - up and down, out to the side, hanging them backwards over my head, pumping them in a walking motion... I just kept repeating that and before I knew it, the five minutes had passed. And, I was sweating a lot. Then it was time for jogging. I was already breathing kind of hard and my legs were already feeling tired, but I trudged on. I jogged for two minutes and it was rough. After two minutes, I slowed it down to a brisk walk for one minute. Then I was really mad at myself for giving up that quickly, so I turned it back up and jogged away the next two minutes. Then it was time for the cool down. Whew! Time for a shower!!!
The thing is, I am surprised at how much I have enjoyed my thirty minutes on the treadmill. It is imperative that I start and maintain an exercise program. I have managed to loose 65 pounds by doing practically nothing. But I'm stuck at the 65 mark. Unless I get my butt in gear, I'll be stuck at the 65 mark forever. I'm anxious to see how this works out for me. The two major differences so far are: 1. I am starving by the time I get to work. I never eat breakfast, so I don't know if the change is from waking up an hour and a half earlier than usual or if I'm working up an appetite. It could be a combination of the two. Maybe I need to start eating some breakfast. 2. I am much more energetic today and yesterday. I have just been a a speed demon at work!

Just another quick little thing... You'll remember my blog about Lucy from the other day. Let me make the point that she is a really good dog. She doesn't like, bite, or growl. She is really just a BIG baby. She does the cutest little things all the time. Also, she is a good guard dog. This morning when I got out of the shower, she started barking a mean bark. I had been hearing something like a four-wheeler a minute earlier, and I wondered if that was what she was barking at. She was sounding off like crazy! I ran downstairs and she was looking out the back door. I didn't see anything, but she was still very intent. She kept butting in between me and the door like she was trying to protect me. On my way downstairs, I did hear four-wheelers and they sounded quite close. I'm assuming that she saw them and went all protective. Anyhow, she caused enough of a ruckus about the whole thing to give me a good scare for a minute, and to run off the four-wheelers. I never saw or heard them for the rest of the morning. Lucy is such a good doggy. How sweet that she was trying to protect me! I love her!!!

1 comment:

Ketti Johnson said...

Good for you for exercising! I have also been exercising regularly and feel much better! You will be able to lift weights better the more you do them. it will be easy before too long. When I was going to the gym I could lift Joey with my legs!