Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Crazy Woman Chasing Dog, Trampled By Cow

Even on the most normal days, the drama still finds me.

Saturday, I went with Roommate to get her hair done and then we went shopping. I really needed something new to wear to church. I have no dressy clothes that fit me anymore. I found a skirt, a shirt, and an awesome pair of shoes that are way too wild for me all at the same store. Sixty bucks later, we grabbed some lunch and headed home. No drama all day. But that didn't last of course. I was driving her truck and was obeying the speed limit while cruising on down the highway. The wind was absolutely horrible. A few times it actually pushed the truck over a little. We were passing by a field when we both saw something flying in the wind. It was a political sign - not the small square kind with the metal posts, but one a little bigger with foam in the middle. It had the politician's picture on it, and it was flying right towards us! I couldn't swerve over, nor could I slam on the brakes. So we both braced for it. Roommate was afraid it was going to land flat against the windshield, blocking my view to drive. I was afraid that the corner of the sign would crack the windshield. Either one would be less than desirable of course. God took care of us though. The sign hit the corner of the truck between the windshield and the door, then it bounced and hit the back of the truck before it blew off further in the wind. We were OK and the truck was OK, but how many people could that possibly happen to? Stuff like this happens to me so often that I don't even get that worked up over it anymore.

And now, another one... Yesterday morning began like any other Monday morning. I woke up, fixed my coffee, drank my coffee, watched a little of the Today Show, and surfed the net for a few minutes. Before I went upstairs to get ready, Lucy (the dog) scratched the door, signaling that she needed to go out. I let her out, and headed upstairs. While I was getting ready, I called work and told them I would be there in twenty minutes. Then I called Cousin and talked to her for a long time. When I was ready to go, I was still on the phone, and I stood in the doorway and yelled outside for Lucy. Normally, when I do this, I hear her running across the porch immediately. However, this time, I didn't hear anything. I scanned the front yard and saw her in the woods near the front door. She was looking right at me and when I called her name again, she ran off in the other direction. I lost sight of her, but could hear the neighbor's dogs going crazy. I walked across the yard, still on the phone, and screamed her name over and over. No sign of her. I walked down the driveway and towards the neighbor's house. A couple of vehicles drove by during this time and I was praying out loud every time that Lucy wouldn't dart out in front of them. In an effort to slow down the cars, I stepped out into the road a little more hoping that if they didn't slow down for Lucy, maybe they would slow down for me. That seemed to work a little. I finally caught up with Lucy while she was sniffing the neighbor's garbage cans. I said, "Come on Lucy, let's go home." And away she goes - in the opposite direction of home. After chasing her a good half of a mile up the road, I finally caught her. I grabbed her tail and yelled at her hard enough that she understood me, and she headed for home. She didn't get in a big hurry on the way back, which was OK with me. She reluctantly led the way home. When we got up the porch, she slowed her walk even more. However, once we were inside, she ran to her water bowl. I filled it up a little more for her, checked to make sure she had food, and left for work. Almost an hour had passed since I had called work to tell them I would be there in twenty minutes. When I was on my way to work, there was a big calf standing in the road just around the last curve that Lucy and I had walked to. Now, what on earth would I have done if I had gotten around the curve and saw that? Lucy has four legs and could have handled herself just fine, but I only have the two legs and they can't move that fast. I would have been trampled. Couldn't you just see the headlines now... "Crazy Woman Chasing Dog, Trampled By Cow." Yep... that's me.

No comments: